Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Wilson Building – Room TBA
1350 Penn. Ave. NW
Elections for Executive Board and Precinct Captains
WARD 2 DEMOCRATS
ELECTION OF OFFICERS and PRECINCT REPRESENTATIVES
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
John A. Wilson Building, Room 120
1350 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
6:30 to 8:30 pm
RULES OF THE DAY
- Officers of the Day. The election of Officers and Precinct Representatives of the Ward 2 Democrats shall be conducted by the DC Democratic State Committee, according to the Rules of the Day, as set forth herein.
- Eligibility. Nominees for Officers must be registered as a Democrat to vote in Ward 2. Any person registered as a Democrat in Ward 2 may vote in this Election. Verification of registration of candidates and voters shall be evidenced by the DC Board of Elections voter registration rolls. If registration cannot be verified via the registration rolls, a challenge ballot will be issued to a voter; however, individuals will be ineligible as a candidate for any office.
- Parliamentary Rules. The election shall be governed by the By-Laws of the Ward 2 Democrats and Robert’s Rules of Order, except as otherwise set forth in the Rules of the Day.
- Quorum. A quorum shall consist of at least one representative from at least 50% of Ward 2 precincts.
- Nomination of Officers & Precinct Representatives. There shall be a Ward 2 Democrats Nominating Committee to be chaired by the Past Chairman of the Ward 2 Democrats, Linda Greenan. Ms. Greenan shall appoint members to the Nominating Committee as needed. No one running for office may be a member of the Nominating Committee. Nominations shall open on August 1, 2011 and will close at Midnight on August 13, 2011. Nominations may be sent to Ms. Greenan by e-mail to Linda.firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to 3835 Street, NW, Washington, DC 20007. Nominations of Officers must be made by registered Democrats residing in Ward 2. Nominations of Precinct Representatives and Alternates must be made by registered Democrats residing in the Precinct. Nominations for Officers will not be taken from the floor, any effort to do so will be ruled out of order.
- Election of Officers. The election of Officers shall be supervised by the DC Democratic State Committee. Elections shall begin immediately following the establishment of a quorum. A report to participants shall be made by the Chair of the Nominating Committee, providing names of persons, according to office, who have been duly nominated in accordance with the Rules set forth herein. From this report, the ballot for officers will be determined.
All nominees must be present. Beginning with the Office of Chair and proceeding in order to the nominees for Treasurer, each nominee shall be allowed two (2) minutes to personally deliver a speech. Questions from the floor shall not be in order. Voting shall commence following speeches by all nominees and shall be conducted by secret ballot. If an election is uncontested, a motion for acclamation shall be in order. The nominee receiving the highest number of votes shall be declared the winner. In case of a tie, a run-off vote shall occur between the two top vote-getters. Voting of officers shall conclude by 8:00 pm.
- Election of Precinct Representatives. Each Precinct in Ward 2 shall elect on Precinct Representative who shall serve on the Commission, and one Alternate Precinct Representative. Nominees for Precinct Representatives and Alternates shall be limited to verified registered voters residing in the Precinct. Precinct Representatives and Alternates shall be elected to a two-year term. Nominees must be present. Each Precinct shall form a Caucus for the purpose of voting. Elections shall be by secret ballot unless a majority of the Caucus votes to dispense with a secret ballot. If an election is uncontested, a motion for election by acclimation shall be in order. Persons receiving the most votes for Precinct Representative and Alternate shall be certified by the Chair of the election as the winners.
6:30PM Voter Registration Opens
7:00 Quorum Call / Adoption of Rules of the Day & Agenda
7:20 Voting for Officers begins
8:00 Voting for Officers concludes / Counting ballots for Officers begins.
Precinct Caucuses Begin.
8:30 Announcement of Winners.